Our founding fathers, James S. Abercrombie and Leopold L. Meyer had a vision for Texas Children’s. They envisioned a hospital that would serve all children regardless of their families’ ability to pay. They wanted it to be a children’s hospital that would not just serve the Houston community but the Texas community – hence the name, Texas Children’s Hospital.
On February 1, 1954 their vision was realized. As one of the first organizations in the Texas medical Center, Texas Children’s became the first hospital in Houston dedicated solely to healing sick children.
With custom-designed medical equipment, child-friendly décor and colorful furnishings, Texas Children’s treated 4,558 patients that first year.